Friday, January 22, 2016

A NEW YEAR - A NEW BEGINNING

So much has happened in the last year that I hardly know where to begin. Perhaps I'll start with something near and dear to my heart - my new cabin. Four years ago, when we moved to this house in the country, we left my backyard cabin behind for the new owners of our former home. I had agreed with that since I thought the cabin my spouse had constructed would be a nice selling feature for the property, also, the prospect of moving the cabin was a daunting one. My spouse promised a new cabin and assured it would be bigger and better than the last one.

Promises are fine, and those who make them are basically well-intentioned, but after living here nearly four years, I began to question if I was ever going to have that new cabin. I approached the issue gingerly, since I knew my newly retired spouse had many other projects in the works, and.....I sensed that he really didn't want to take on such a big project, though he wouldn't admit it. It had been over ten years since he'd built the last one, so I could understand that. Neither of us was getting any younger. Still, I longed for a space to call my own. 

After a few unsuccessful attempts to open a "cabin dialog", I made one last effort and to my great surprise, my spouse suggested we go look at a building that could be constructed on our property, and whose interior he could finish in his own time. So we did that, and though my new cabin is basically the same size as the last one, minus the loft, it is a place I love. It has become my very own small version of a mercantile shop. It sits in the side yard, which makes it very handy to view the house and see what the cats are doing in their outdoor enclosure. There is also easy access to the driveway. 

My spouse did a wonderful job of finishing the interior, and just before Christmas of 2015, I began arranging old farm tables, vintage crates, and other display items out there. I'm sure I'll continue to tweak the settings, but I'm very happy with the results. In fact, it's still Christmas in my cabin. Come take a peek . . .






 

4 comments:

Kim said...

You are a lucky woman and he is a keeper.

Michelle said...

Welcome back. I havent blogged in over a year. Your space looks amazing. Congrats

Merilyn said...

So lovely to hear from you again!!!!! I had wondered what you were up to......Just love your sweet little cabin......it seems that us girls are never too old to enjoy a doll's house of sorts, to play, to ponder and create...... you and your husband did a wonderful job.....it's gorgeous....I think I want one too LOL!!!!!
Looking forward to seeing how your cat family is going as well.....welcome back.......and all the very best for 2016!!!!!

Kady said...

Thank you, ladies. I've missed blogging and peeking into other blogs. Life sometimes gives us turns and twists in the road, but as long as we keep going, I guess we're ok. Thank you for the kind comments re: my new cabin. My dream was to have a REAL-LOG cabin, but that wasn't realistic for us. This one suits me well and I'm having fun arranging my treasures in it. I think every woman has a little girl inside her and needs a play house or a play space to call her own. I feel very blessed to have one again.